Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Redefining Public Service

National service does a lot of great things through public service. We tutor elementary and middle school students. We beautify and transform schools, parks, and neighborhoods. We civically engage companies to invest in youth leadership and their communities. We develop thousands of leaders every year who are change makers in all sectors the world over. However, I think we may be selling ourselves short. At 10:45 am, one of the greatest volunteer opportunities that can befall a young man, befell me.

For the newbies at HQ and Boston, your favorite youth leadership program used to have a formal service partnership with the Red Cross* in the mid to late 90s. After my experience this afternoon, I think it's time we re-visited the partnership. The Red Cross runs a Nurse Practitioner Program on the 6th Floor. Today was a big test for 12 young idealists looking to make a difference in the lives of their patients. One small problem: no actor to be their patient.

A group of 6 distraught young ladies (and for the purposes of accuracy and good story-telling, they were also very attractive) came down to the 5th floor in desperate search of an actor/patient to help them with their nursing test. It would start in 10 minutes. Once she passed, she could be the patient for the other nurses. It would only take 15 minutes, but they couldn't begin the test without a volunteer. Would they know anyone who could help? How could I say no? I am a public servant. Please, it's what I do.

When we made it up to the 6th floor, I was greeted like a hero by the other 6 soon-to-be nurses. My character was Mr. Jones and I had a bed-ridden condition. Until I actually met the Nurse who was administering the exam, I thought this was a great prank cooked up by Dan in HR. After the initial exchange of warm greetings, the nurse checked my pulse, continually asked if I was comfortable, and then did a few arm exercises. I am happy to report that my nurse PASSED and I have set a ripple into motion that will allow 11 others to become certified nurse assistants. I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

So the big question that remains is - How often is the Nursing Test administered and how can we formalize a service partnership? Think about all of the good we could be doing in helping the next generation of young nurses reach their passion in life. Isn't this what public service should be? People helping people.

That's what my America looks like.

No comments: