Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Great Teeth-Cleaning Spoiled

This morning was my six month check-up and bi-annual teeth-cleaning at Copley Dental on Boylston. Remember that kid in high school who always said "I don't think I did too well on that bio test" and she pulls a 97? Well, I have a reverse complex when it comes to the dentist. I think I am going to ace every check-up. I brush three times a day, daily flossing, scope, an occasional water pic.


Every time Dr. Grace reprimands me for not doing more.

Dr. Grace:
"You need to spend more time brushing your molars. And the inside of your bottom teeth."
"Have you thought about a mouthguard for sleeping?"
"You have a cavity on your 24. Needs to get taken care of right away."

It breaks my spirit. However, I appreciate how direct Grace is. She not only points out what is wrong, but she wants to tell me what is causing the problem and what I can do to correct it. Then comes the actual teeth cleaning with the tiny little polisher laced with some kind of fluride treatment. My teeth feel so good that it's a shame I can't project my mood more. When you are 8, you get a pinwheel. When you are 28, you get a goodie bag with a toothbrush and travel size toothpaste. It's nice and thematic, but my teeth are great right now. I don't need more toothpaste. I want to show them off.

Bottom line: It will be a great day for the dental industry when a makeout room is built in every office. If there is a service that matches first class "singles" passengers taking the same flight, how long before patients are matched by their appointment times? Dental hygiene - right next to cleanliness and godliness.

No comments: